Thursday, May 7, 2009

Off to the Land of Freedom, Democracy, and Probably Swine Flu

Well, as I sit here typing this post, I'm slowly counting down the seconds before I leave the comfortable confines of Kuching and dive head-first into what is literally called the Land of Dreams; The United States of America.

Oh gee, it's like leaving a small puddle of water we call Malaysia and venturing out into the open seas (America) where fishes (American gals) are aplenty. Hurr hurr.

On a more serious note, I find it rather surreal that I'm heading off to America to represent Malaysia at one of the most prestigious annual science fair (Geek Alert!).

Back in the day, when I was just a wee toddler stepping foot into SMK Batu Lintang, I've always admired seniors like Larry, Esther and Kelvin whenever it was announced that they would be flying off to the USA to the very same competition.

I've always fantasised about putting myself in their shoes and reliving the glory of the moment when they would come back home, a trophy in their hands and be greeted by the public as heroes who did their country proud.

It was always a far-fetched dream for me and it was something I thought was impossible for someone like me.

Yet, today, here I am. Awaiting the very seconds before I would be whisked off into foreign lands where their cultures are so vastly different than ours. Where its people are that of a First World Country. Where video gaming is an integral part of society.

Where its people were once governed by George W. Bush.


Oh. Crap.

1 comment:

Samuel K Lis said...

you're going to US? wohoo!! good luck!!