Thursday, August 2, 2007

Sabah, Land Below The Wind (part 2)

I think this post has been delayed long enough. Time to get the rest of my time and adventures in Sabah posted up at last.

Back from where the previous post left out, I set out from the Signal Hill Observation Point and headed to the outskirts of town for a little sight-seeing. Our first stop was Sepanggar Bay, Sabah's equivalent of the satellite town of BDC.

Once there, we headed to University Malaysia Sabah (UMS). And, OH MY GAWD! The overall sight that greeted my eyes was amazing! I tell you, our puny UNIMAS campus has nothing on this university grounds.

The lush greenery was simply amazing and better yet, it was situated on the edge of a large cliff that overlooked the South China Sea. The view was stunning.


Apparently, I have decided to pursue tertiary-education


My next stop was the Menara Datuk Mustapha. Shaped like a rocket, or rather, like a certain male's anatomical feature, it is arguably the most tallest building in Borneo. Heated debates have erupted regarding the height of the building and also, its shape.


Don't tell Cape Canaveral about this, they might try to launch it. XD


We stopped by Sepanggar town for our brunch and I was in for a surprise when my father's friend recommended that we try Sabah's local delicacy. Better yet, the best of the best of this particular delicacy can be found in Sepanggar. Boy, that surely was my lucky day!

We sat down at a coffee-shop and ordered kolo mee. Yes, kolo mee. But this isn't Kuching's kolok mee we're talking about, this is old-school Sabahan kolo mee. The noodles were deep-fried in dark soya sauce and char sio. Finally, it was topped off with scallops, vegetables and fishballs. P.S : You might not want to try the cili-padi, it almost burned my tongue off. Mark the words burned, not scalded, burned!


Yummy~~


Later, we headed back to the city centre and stopped by the museum. However, it was undergoing some major renovations and we weren't allowed inside. Btw, loads of old cars displayed outside, ranging from the 60's to the 90's. I recalled seeing a 67' Chevy Impala if I was not mistaken.

As the clock struck noon, we trotted off once again, to the Golden Triangle of Hotel Resorts. Yep, I was heading towards the famed and fabled Sutera Harbour Bay. Renown as some of the best holiday resorts in the world, I was left with my mouth agape in awe as I learned that it was home to three colossal hotel resorts.

The first was Tanjung Aru Shangri-La's Beach Resort, the second was Sutera Harbour Resort and the third was '(insert fancy name here)' i totally forgot. Wasn't impressive enough for me to remember the name, perhaps. =P

Our first stop, Tanjung Aru Shangri-La Beach Resort. Hmpphh, Damai had never looked so horribly under-accommodated as I stepped foot onto the hotel grounds.


Somebody's getting lucky tonight~~


The resort grounds was pristine and reminded me a little bit of Hawaii

Undoubtedly, the landscaper must have put a lot of thought into this resort


Next up,we travelled to Sutera Harbour Bay, another resort nearby. Indeed, you could see why they called it Sutera Harbour Bay, what not with the uncannily accurate depiction of the marinas in Australia. You could see yachts, boats, sailors, boardwalks as far as the horizon stretched.


Once again, this sight would make you strip off and jump into the ocean, butt-naked


If I hadn't stated it earlier, one might mistake this for the marinas in Perth and Sydney


Tired from all the visiting we had done earlier in the day, we headed back to our hotel, rested up and got ready to see behind the scenes the night-life of Sabah.

Expect a post about Sabah's night-life soon enough as this post has dragged on for too long. Till then, cheerio~

No comments: