Thursday, August 13, 2009

Dissecting the Manifesto!

As promised, here is a more in-depth look at the direction that my campaign is heading. First off, let's start off with the motto that I have so painstakingly thought of to base my campaign on.

"No. 1 in Academics, Discipline, Fun and Play-time"

Those with observant minds will immediately notice that the motto is another take on the ADFP acronym which my seniors playfully dub "All Day Fun and Play". As much as I would like to agree with them, college life doesn't quite work that way anymore.

So, instead of branding ourselves as an "All play and no work" kind of students, I've opted for a more accurate portrayal of the American Program students. After giving it much thought, I finally settled for this motto.

Basically what it means is that we American Program students can study our butts off when need be through sheer willpower and DISCIPLINE, but at the end of the day when work is done and finished with, we show the students of other programs how we PARTY and PLAY like a pro.

To put simply, why must studying be a dull and boring process? Whoever said that we can't have fun while we pore through our books? And that is basically what I intend to do if elected as Vice President of ATUSA.

I wish for people to think of a conducive environment which strikes a balance between both play and work. Sure, I think most seniors can attest to the fact that we have more than enough work than play in the American Program, so why not we inject a little bit more fun while we're here in Intec, right?

Remember the redundant and cliche idiom? "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". Yeah, you get the general idea.

Events I plan for ATUSA to carry out:

Ah, before I begin, I would like to thank all those who have implicitly or explicitly commented on the flaws of my manifesto as well as those who have forwarded suggestions for my consideration.

Public input is really vital to helping me pinpoint the areas of which students -both seniors and juniors- think could still have room for improvement. Furthermore, I now have a better idea on the types of activities students would like to see ATUSA carry out.

So, thank you all for your suggestions, criticism and comments. They really mean a lot to me.

Academic Activities

From most suggestions, it seems as though most academic activities I have in mind are somewhat redundant. Most of them seem to already be implemented in the American Program on way or another. Anyway, as promised, a brief overview on the events I plan for ATUSA to carry out.

1. Field trips to the US embassy
Having heard from a lecturer that field trips to the embassy is somewhat unlikely as there are strict rules and regulations imposed, I have instead thought of an alternative. If a field trip to the embassy is impossible, perhaps a field trip to another place of interest might be appropriate and do-able.

2. Cultural Learnings of all things America
Thankfully, the seniors have pointed out to me that these lessons are somewhat redundant as American Cultural Lessons are already implemented in the American Program. Therefore, rather than focusing my effort into organizing such lessons, I figured my time and effort would be better off hosting other activities and events. Kudos to the seniors for pointing this out to me!

3. American Classroom Ethics Lesson
Again, same as activity number 2 above. Nuff' said.

4. Better Facilitation/Announcement of University Talks
I think that ATUSA can better provide for the students in regards of such talks. I was thinking of perhaps devising a better way to inform students of the American Program of such talks.

According to several students, they find it rather troublesome that they were only informed of such talks at the last minute. Even then, they were not sure of the details of the talks. Therefore, perhaps a better way to pass the information around could be devised.

Recreational Activities

1. More activities during American Indulgence Week
Just to clarify things, I am still planning on keeping tradition alive with American Indulgence Week. Staple activities such as parades, Halloween Night, dodgeball and Luau Parties are still going to be part of American Indulgence Week.

However, what I do intend to change is to add more fun activities into the mix, if budget and time limitations allow. Still, I will try to push for ATUSA to have more activities during Indulgence Week.

2. Spring Break!
Yes, we all know that it means holidays to us American Program kids. But to look at it in a broader perspective, Spring Break is actually an annual festivity that is synonymous with all American college kids. In short, Spring Break involves sand, sea, surf and a lot of suntan lotion.

I intend for ATUSA to organize an outing to the beach where the students can just sit back, chill out and have fun in particular in conjunction with our Spring Semester Break.

3. Wacky American Gameshows
I bet we are all familiar with all those crazy reality game shows that the Americans are capable of cooking up. Some may wish for more of these to be organized by ATUSA so that they may be able to take part and a few others may just wish for the American Program to break with conventions and organize other new gameshow-type events instead.

In the previous years, it was America's Got Talent. Perhaps, this year we could organize something else instead like Wheel of Fortune, The Amazing Race, Smarter than a Fifth Grader, just to name a few.

4. Competitive video games tournaments
We (guys in particular) know what this activity should be all about. DOTA and Counter-Strike and all those other video games in the USA that is being played profesionally which pits players against players in the ultimate quest to crown a champion in their respective games.

I realize the very high possibility that the HEP may not approve of this activity being carried out by ATUSA. Nonetheless, I will try my best to push for this activity to be given the green light. After all, one cannot deny that video games are the very thing that's been keeping us sane throughout college life, no?

5. Keeping Old Traditions Alive
As it name implies, that's what I exactly plan to do should I be elected as Vice President of ATUSA. Activities that students are fond of or have been implemented in the American Program for quite some time shall be carried out as usual but with better management and implementation.

I end this in-depth review of my manifesto here. (I'm sure some are already bleeding out of their eyes after reading walls after walls of text)

So, should you find me worthy of your votes, please, do vote for Nathaniel Sia.

Vote for Nathaniel Sia! Vote for a better ATUSA!

Elections will be held at:
Cemara Hall
8.30 pm to 10.3o pm
17th August 2009 (Monday)

*Buses will depart from Cendana to Cemara at 8.00 pm



No comments: