Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Hobby-Turned-Obsession

I won't deny it. I have an obsession. An obsession that has spanned 8 years now.

I've been cleaning out my room the other day to make room for the handfuls of textbooks and exercise books that Form 5 is gonna bring in. That's when I noticed for the first time the sheer volume of books and other miscellaneous items I've collected throughout the years.

For starters, what turned out to be a single copy of an Archie comic book that was bought in Australia back in 1999 has become a gigantic collection that would put most collections to shame.

Just let the pictures speak for themselves.

I counted a grand total of 75 copies......

And of course, being an avid reader, I've sought high and low for several elusive books and novels to complete some of my personal collection. Others, I own for the mere purpose of garnering myself some bragging rights.

The almost-complete-collection of The Death Gate Trilogy. A great read

The following collection is also a must-have for any individual who prides on dubbing themselves a true bookworm. After all, it was a worldwide phenomenon that introduced readers around the world to the magical realm of Hogwarts.

And to think I got my first Harry Potter novel in Australia...

Sometimes, should the situation and circumstances arise, I love delving myself into the war-torn land of Middle Earth and get caught up in the flurry of events that make up the War Of The One Ring. Kudos to J.R.R Tolkien for this fantastic work of literature.

First few novels I've read which called for a dictionary by my side

We were all familiar with superheroes when we were growing up and most of us aspire to grow up into one. Spiderman, Superman, Batman were all common household names; thanks to the cartoons being aired back in the mid 90's.

However, as I grew up, that afore-mentioned fantasy had dissipated somewhat and lay dormant in the deeper recesses of my mind. Now having access to the financial means, I treated myself to a Spiderman comic (50 bucks for one!!) as a memento of sort. And now, look at where it led me:

I splurged a total of RM 500 for these collection over the years

Speaking of which, the collection of National Geographic which my parents and I have accumulated over the years too, were worth a fortune. You can't put a price on education and knowledge. More importantly, what the heck were these doing in my room? I'm allergic to all knowledge-inducing reading materials!

You'd think I grew smart after reading all this. Well, guess again!

With that many things to sort and store, a shelf was in dire need. Conveniently enough, we just bought two bookshelves not too long ago to store these things! Yay, a mini-library right at home!


With the books and reading materials aside, I still have some rather unusual collections that make me go, "Why on earth did I even collect these in the first place?!" Sigh, being a 12 year old can make you do stupid things.

I'm quite sure that we're accustomed to the term 'Mini-4WD'. It's those little miniature model cars with an in-built motor that you can race.


It was all the rage back then and I've sworn never to own one ever again after the initial 1997 Tamiya Mini-4WD hype blew over. Guess that makes me a terrible person at keeping true to oaths and vows.

Sad, isn't it?

Then, there was that 'Super Yoyo thingamajig' craze that hit us 12 year old kids pretty hard back in the day. Safe to say, within weeks, this was what transpired. I know, I suck at self-restraint and give in instantaneously to peer pressure. XD

Oh My Goodness, what was I thinking??

I'm glad that this obsession didn't turn into anything worse. Any more and it would officially qualify as a fetish. (shivers)

Ergo, I will now end this post with a super-uberly-adorable photograph that would make you all swoon. Now go out there and adopt a polar bear right away!

3 comments:

Reening said...

haha, I know how you feel. You turn to look at the past for one second as then you got, wtf was I thinking???

Reening said...

haha, I know how you feel. You turn to look at the past for one second as then you got, wtf was I thinking???

Reening said...

a mistake, sorry